There’s a saying that if you keep doing the same things, you’ll keep getting the same results.
That’s why the biggest and most formidable challenge to growth lies not with your staff, your accounts or your marketing, but within the confines of your own head…
Locked up in your mind are the beliefs, values, emotions and habits of a lifetime that have got you to where you are right now. But unless you’re already very successful, these same ways of thinking are unlikely to suddenly start producing better results for you.
In this article you will learn the three key elements of personal development for success in business.
Successful people continually push the boundaries to embrace new ideas, understand their true potential and take action to make things happen for them.
They understand that success is all about realising their latent potential and that by growing themselves, they increase their potential for future growth and success.
Highly successful people from all walks of life, demonstrate three over-riding habits/traits that you need to develop for yourself to achieve your full potential. These are:
- Mojo by the bucket-load – a positive mental attitude to succeed
- Get Organised and Efficient – set clear priorities, stay in control, make things happen
- Build Your Support Network – connect with people who’ll support and encourage you
You can’t change overnight, but if you’re determined to be more successful then working on these three areas, a little at a time, will gradually shift your habits over time. These Growth Blueprints are designed to help you on that journey…
[box type=”note” style=”rounded” icon=”none”]
Self Development Blueprint 1: Get Your Mojo Back!
Long workdays, endless problems, lack of holidays, poor income and emotionally draining staff problems can grind down even the most positive thinking person
Sometimes your mojo goes away for a while because of a specific, continuing issue in your business. If that’s the case, you just need to fix that issue and you’ll get your motivation back once it’s fixed.
However, if you are feeling burnt out and have lost all sense of drive and motivation, no amount of clever marketing, sales, finance or team building exercises are going to fix things for you.
You simply need to get yourself back on an even keel. To do that, you need to be able to answer these four questions positively…
- Are you even in the right business? And if you’re not, can you change things enough to become motivated enough to drive it forwards regardless?
- Are you healthy and fit? So many business owners sacrifice their physical and mental wellbeing to their businesses, with the mistaken belief that the business is more important. While the occasional sacrifice can be made without doing any harm, your business will eat you alive if you don’t prioritise some time for keeping yourself healthy.
- Are you up-beat about business? Henry Ford once said that “If you believe you can, or you believe you can’t, you are probably right” and by this he was referring to your attitude towards anything you’d like to do. If you start out with the belief that you can achieve something, you’ve got a far greater chance of achieving it than if you believe it’s impossible to start with.
- Are you a self-starter? To be successful you must take the initiative and get things going for yourself. Staff, suppliers and customers won’t keep your business moving forwards without you constantly pushing it forwards.
An action plan to help you get your mojo back, extracted from my book, Double Your Business, is available for download by registering for your free membership of The Double Your Business Growth Club.
[box style=”rounded” icon=”none”]
Self-Development Blueprint 2: Get Organised and Efficient
We’re all granted the same number of hours in the day, but the most successful people figure out how to get so much more done in their time than the average person.
Becoming more organised and efficient in your working life is a prerequisite to real success. And to achieve that, there are 5 major factors to master:
- Your Action Plan shows you what needs to be done and by when. WIth it all written down or stored in your smart phone, you don’t have to worry about forgetting things ever again.
- Your Diary is more than just a place to schedule meetings, it’s also the most powerful tool for planning when you’ll be working on your business, rather than just working in it.
- Your Filing System keeps you on top of all your projects, allowing you to work from a clear desk and still being able to find everything you need.
- Regular Review of your priorities keeps you focused on the activities, projects and issues that will make the biggest contribution to your bottom line. Skipping around from one project to the next and never getting anything finished is a recipe for disaster, and simply using a decent prioritisation method will make a profound difference to how much you achieve.
- Distraction Elimination System – train your team to solve their own problems, rather than asking you for every answer. Set fixed times of day when you can be interrupted for routine activities to reduce the interruptions and increase your productivity.
A powerful guide to setting priorities is available for immediate download in the members area ofThe Double Your Business Growth Club – there’s no charge for membership and you’ll have access to private materials to help you get more out of every working day.
[box type=”note” style=”rounded” icon=”none”]
Self-Development Blueprint 3: Build Your Support Network
No man is an island, or so the poem goes. We all benefit from having input and support from people who have different knowledge, experience and skills.
Connecting with the right network of people gives you the advantage that you can call upon their specialist knowledge to help you get better results faster.
There are lots of ways to build your Support Network, but great things to think about include:
- Work with a good business coach or mentor to help you to develop growth strategies and hold you accountable for getting things done
- Avoid energy vampires – try to cut out of your life the people who suck the joy and pleasure out of being on planet Earth
- Invest in good training materials – books, CDs, DVDs, membership sites for business
- Join a regular networking group to meet other like-minded business owners
- Connect with people via online networking tools like LinkedIn or Twitter
A blueprint to help you build your support network can be downloaded from the members area of Growth Club – register for your free membership now.
Start Your Free Membership of
The Double Your Business Growth Club
For Training, Smart Tips, Ideas, Templates & Guides To Build A Business That Delivers For You And Your Customers. Membership includes…
- All the templates, checklists and guides mentioned in the article shown on this page..
- Breakthrough Action Plans from my Financial Times book, Double Your Business, to help you get started on developing your success habits…
- Access to templates and guides for every area of business, including self-development, financial management, marketing, sales, people management, systemisation and customer service…
- Weekly business growth tips via email…
[button link=”https://www.leeduncan.com/growth-club/” size=”large” color=”orange”]Start Your Free Membership Now…[/button]